Palau announces new marine sanctuary

On October 22, 2015, Palau announced the creation of a 193,000 square mile fully protected marine reserve, which will be the world’s sixth largest fully protected marine area. Over 1,300 species of fish and 700 species of coral will be protected.  This marine preserve will cover 80% of the island nation’s maritime territory; the remaining 20% will be reserved for local fishing and related small scale non-industrial fishing.

Under the leadership of President Tommy E. Remengeau, Jr., Palau has made history by creating the world’s first nation-wide marine sanctuary.  As President Remengeseau states "this move proves that a small island nation can have a big impact on the ocean.”